Tax Assessment

Find questions and answers regarding many different topics here.

Typically the County/Municipal real estate tax bills are mailed March 1 every year. The School real estate tax bills are mailed either July 1 or August 1, every year, depending on the school district.

All real estate tax bills in Franklin County give you the ability to choose from 3 time periods to pay your bills. The first 2 months are with a discount, or the next 2 months at the face amount (this is with no discount or penalty), or after those 4 months a penalty will be added. Your local tax collector can answer any questions regarding payment of current real estate tax bills.

This is a special real estate tax bill for new changes/improvements to a property that have not been previously assessed. The improvements are added to the tax rolls & a pro-rated bill is generated. This bill, is in addition to the regular annual real estate tax bills. Contact the Assessment office for further explanation.

The current millage rate is taken times the current total assessed value of each property to arrive at the real estate taxes due. Example: A total assessed value of $35,000 X 1 mill (.001) = $35.00 Real Estate Taxes

All real estate assessments in Franklin County represent 100% of the 1961 market value.

The last County-wide reassessment went into affect for 1961.

The real estate assessment roll is used to levy taxes for the County, municipalities, and school districts, each year. During  the annual budget process for each taxing body, a millage rate (tax rate) is set. 1 mill represents $1 for every $1,000 of assessed value.

The only times that an assessed value can change is due to changes with the property itself. A new improvement/placing something there that wasn't there before (i.e. shed), removal/demolition of an improvement, changes in land size or a County-wide reassessment.

No. The assessed value does not change based on the sale price.

Currently, there are 3 programs available:
  1. Homestead/Farmstead Program
  2. PA Property Tax Rebate Program. See your local State Representative for more information.
  3. 100% Disabled Veteran program. See your County Veterans Affairs office for more information.

Annually, before August 1. Unless, you have received a Change Of Assessment Notice that gives you a specific date you have to appeal by.

You are required to fill out an appeal form with the Rules & Procedures & return to the Assessment office by the deadline.

When appealing, you are doing so prospectively or for the next taxing year. For example, if filing an appeal by Aug 1, 2014, any decision determined by the Board of Assessment will be effective January 1, 2015.

Yes. Every property owner is notified if an assessment change has occurred on a property. That notice gives an appeal deadline for filing. The appeal form needs to be filled out & sent to the Assessment office by the deadline specified on the notice.

Yes, usually. However, that depends on the mill rates. You are appealing your assessment not your taxes. The Board of Assessment only has control over the assessed value of a property not the mill rate.

Yes. The owner &/or their attorney must appear at the hearing. Please refer to the Appeal Rules and Procedures for further information.

The Board is made up of qualified property owners from various parts of the County who are appointed by the County Commissioners.

No. An attorney is not required to appeal your assessment.

At this time, there is no fee to appeal.

For the annual appeal process the deadline is August 1 each year. If you have received a Change of Assessment Notice, the filing deadline is noted on the notice.

No. The Assessment office can correct any errors without going through the appeal process. Contact the Assessment office to review your property information & confirm any data that may be in question.

They are typically held weekdays between 9 a.m. & 4 p.m. August to October and, as necessary, through out the year.

The appeals, typically, are scheduled in 15 min. increments

The next step is to file a Petition with the Court of Common Pleas