Adult Probation - Work Release

Find questions and answers regarding many different topics here.

A minimum of 3 work days (Saturday, Sunday and holidays excluded).  Your employer must be contacted to confirm employment, work hours and pay rate; a copy of your employer’s workers compensation confirmation must be provided; the Jail’s treatment staff must clear you for work; and you must be assigned to the unit that houses employed inmates.

Pre-Release staff is available to transport you to and from work Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., and from 1:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.  The ride fee is $2.00 each way, and is deducted from your paychecks.  Your job site must be in the Chambersburg area.  You may also have a relative, friend, spouse or co-worker transport you to/from work as long as that person is not on probation or parole, is at least 18 years old, and has a valid driver’s license.  Inmates are not permitted to drive to/from work.

Employers are responsible for mailing all inmate paychecks and corresponding pay stubs to the Pre-Release Office, within 3 days of your scheduled payday.  Deducted from each pay check are applicable court ordered fines, costs, restitution, rent, and child support; monies you request to have deposited into your jail commissary account; and monies you request to be mailed to someone you designate. The balance of your pay, if any, is maintained in an escrow account.  Upon release, your escrow balance will be issued to you.  Your pay stubs, as well as a detailed account of deductions, will be provided to you every pay week.  If you have direct deposit at work, your employer is responsible for providing your pay stub to us within 3 days of your scheduled pay day.  The accounts clerk will provide to you, in writing, a breakdown of what you owe in fines, costs, restitution, rent and child support, and you will pay your financial obligations directly to Pre-Release.

No, but your employer must notify Pre-Release of any changes in a timely manner. Overtime requests must be called in by your employer/supervisor, who must also complete an overtime slip for you to provide upon your return to the jail the day of the overtime.

You may request that monies from your pay checks be mailed to someone on the outside for this purpose.  This is called voluntary support.

After you have been cleared for work by the Jail’s treatment staff, you may request applications for any of the employers in the job posting manual located in your housing unit.  Applications will be provided for you to complete, and will be forwarded by Pre-Release staff to the employers.  There are also job postings located in the manual, which are open for a designated period of time, and for which we also have applications that you may request to complete.   Employers contact us about hiring based on the applications provided to them.

After you have been sentenced, you will be provided with a notice of your release date.  That date is subject to change if there are any disciplinary issues or if you receive additional charges/sentences.  If your jail sentence is more than 10 days, you will also have to have an approved home plan to which to be released.